Hearing Professionals of Illinois

(847) 674-5585
We Have 6 Locations to Serve You

Hearing Health Blog

Hearing loss is a health condition that comes in several different forms, each of which has different causes. However, the most common cause of hearing loss is the aging process (our hearing capability decreases in strength as we age). Moreover, our genetics tend to play a major role in determining whether we will suffer from weakened hearing or not. Another

Read More


You get your physical health checked on at least once a year and probably see the dentist every six months for a routine check-up. If you wear glasses you know to get your vision tested every year or two, but how often should your hearing be tested ? Screening vs testing There is a difference between hearing screening tests and

Read More


Any medication has potential side effects and many carry the slight risk of causing hearing loss. If you are worried about hearing loss from your medication speak to your audiologist before stopping the treatment. It’s also important your hearing care provider knows what medications you take, in case they have the potential to affect your hearing health. Is My Medication

Read More


Are you familiar with the expression: “The tip of the iceberg?”  This pithy saying demonstrates what appears on the surface is not necessarily representative of what lurks beneath. With around 48 million Americans having hearing loss, but only 10 percent of them using hearing aids, this leaves a whopping 90 percent (you do the math) with an increased chance of

Read More


Far from uniform, hearing aids come in two basic types (in the ear and behind the ear), and a range of styles within these two types. If you’ve been diagnosed with hearing loss, an audiologist will help fit you with one of these types in a model and style that meets your individual needs, budget and preferences. Hearing aids that

Read More


Some misconceptions about hearing health and devices are common to the general public, but within each demographic, many of the same stereotypes and misinformed ideas about hearing aids have evolved. Although there are certainly more than these, younger adults tend to believe at least a few of the following four hearing aid myths: Myth #1: Hearing aids are only for

Read More


Almost every child in the United States will undergo a hearing test right after birth to detect any congenital hearing impairments. To identify any hearing issues that may occur later on in life, it is recommended to have your child tested for hearing loss through several testing techniques. In the case of possible signs of aural impairment, treatment can be

Read More


Dating, and especially first dates, can be problematic for most people; but it can be even more problematic for those who suffer from any form of hearing loss. However, actually meeting people to go on dates with has been made easier since the introduction of dating sites on the Internet. Today, there are literally hundreds of different dating sites on

Read More


A company in Chicago manufactured the first recorded, wearable hearing aid almost a century ago in 1938. The device consisted of an earpiece, a wire and a battery pack. The wire connected the earpiece to a battery pack that attached to the wearer’s clothing or body. Back then, many hearing aids were clunky and awkward. They were often impractical to

Read More


An audiometric technician is a part of the hearing health professionals group. An audiometric technician in the simplest form is a person who is certified to test an individual’s hearing at or by a workplace; essentially a workplace hearing test . An audiometric technician must take an audiometric training course and government standard written and practical exam in order to

Read More